Sunday, April 27, 2008

When God calls

A couple of weeks ago my friend and former professor came to speak at our Church. He talked about getting a call from God. As always he did a wonderful job, but he said something that I can’t get out of my mind. He talked about a calling as something that may not be something that you want to do, but something that God needs you to do! I have got to wonder how many times I have missed the boat on that one! How many times did I not do something because it was too uncomfortable for me? How many times have I found away out of something when it really was what God was calling to do? I don’t know that really rocks my world and makes me wonder when or if I have ever missed God’s call.

4 comments:

Pam said...

I don't believe that God calls you to do just one thing. I think he will find you where you are at and keep calling. Don't worry if you think you've missed a calling in the past, God is calling you right now to do something. I believe you have already answered the call, and that's why you're at Alameda. (Insert line here about if you ever leave, I might hurt you)

Pam said...

It's now 9:55 pm. I'm debating whether I should have one last diet dp. No. Yes. No. Dang! Maybe just one more.. it's not midnight yet.

Don't think I won't be checking on you while you're in Pepperdine. I have eyes everywhere.

Mel said...

I so know what you are saying. I often think I have "missed" some calling from God (even simple little callings), but we are human and make mistakes. I think the more we focus on Him then we will do more of what He calls us to do.

Chelf said...

Read a book. :-)
When God Calls by Glenn Pemberton.

It is insightful, and right there with what you are thinking about.

I don't know that God's call will be the highest paying job, but it will be HIS highest current goal for you. Or maybe the goal is really for someone else.

I think the "call" is in the little daily decisions you make, and the attitude you have about everything. Do you consider God's promises and will before you do something? Are you being God's best child when you do something for others?

I am not saying that you or your friend were not called. Just saying that sometimes the call is in a whisper, not a shout.